Picture
image source: http://gardendancing.blogspot.com/2010/06/amazing-world-of-succulents.html
Picture
image source: http://prudentbaby.com/2010/12/prudent-home/diy-simple-stunning-living-succulent-wreath-2/
I have been noticing a lot of these pretty succulents included in wreaths and in centerpieces lately.  Since I'm a bit, shall we say, thrifty, I wasn't sure where to get these without spending waaay more than I wanted (which is any amount, really--I love flowers, but have a hard time convincing myself that purchasing them is a valuable investment, especially when I could easily make them!). 


Even this beautiful `$10 wreath made with faux-succulents from the craft store featured on Milk and Cuddles is a bit out of my price range--although I do love the way the greenery looks on the grapevine, and since I've recently bought one from the thrift store, I may use it in my succulent project. I have also seen some beautiful window boxes and window frames made with succulents... With so much inspiration, how can you go wrong? 

Picture
image source: http://milkandcuddles.com/2013/02/make-a-wreath/
That being said, I began my search for a DIY paper succulent tutorial. After some quick googling, I discovered this tutorial by Twigg Studios. After some modifications of my own, I created a lovely paper succulent to share with you all. 

Picture
image source: http://www.twiggstudios.com/2012/07/diy-paper-succulents.html
Picture
image source: http://www.twiggstudios.com/2012/07/diy-paper-succulents.html
In the lovely Twigg Studios  tutorial, they use paper, which is hand-painted with water colors and then delicately curled. I quite like the effect, but was looking for something a bit stiffer.  Having made several versions of paper flowers, I thought that paper towel rolls, which were already close to the right color, would be ideal. I also used a bit of colored paper to add some dimension and texture to the succulent. 
For my paper succulents, I used a paper-towel roll to cut leaves. I cut half of my leaves in the regular brown and the other half I cut from a paper towel roll that had I sprayed with adhesive and stuck a piece of green-colored paper.
Once all the leaves were cut, into triangles of different sizes, I began gluing them together in a sort of "throwing-star" (pinwheel) shape, so that the corners touched and there was a hole left in the middle. I layered gradually smaller pieces on top of one another, with the corners pointing in the empty spaces, so that each empty space was eventually covered with a leaf. I also tried to intersperse the green and brown leaves, to add a little dimension to my faux-succulent. 
After I finished stacking my leaves for my succulent, I bent some of the edges with my fingers to make them look a little more natural, and less stiff.  For a few finishing touches, I rounded a few of the edges (to make it look a little softer, and more natural). I then added some purple paint to the leaves edges and centers....and voila! My version of the paper succulent. Now I only need to make ten or so more for my wreath! (sheesh!) I think I will try a different kind next, maybe with fewer leaves...check back for updates. 



Leave a Reply.